Quality and Sustainability
Iberol is a well referenced firm in biofuels sector, encompassing entirely its value chain since extraction/crushing, production of raw materials for animal feed until the production of biodiesel. It is, therefore, conscious of its responsibility to develop towards society. Based on its strategy, assuming the continuous improvement of its processes, products and services as essential to a sustainable development:
- Guaranty the absolute satisfactions of its customers and other parts involved, identifying its needs and expectations, as well as, to create value and improve its competitive position;
- Develop people, identifying needed skills for job, and providing conditions for a motivational and High Performance environment;
- Manage the processes with integrated and quality information, reinforced in management information systems, so that decisions are made based on facts and are objective;
- Follow the higher quality framework, applying referencing regulations in the productive processes, in quality and sustainability of its products, in nourish food and work safety.
- Promote environmental protection, in an integrated way, prevent and control pollution and efficient energy use, optimizing the usage of natural and energy resources continuously improving its performance;
- Strictly obey to regulation in place, norms applied and duty of conformity ;
- Evolve in technical applications of business that foster the innovation of products and services, that permit continuously responding to the market needs;
- Set measurable objectives to improve all its processes through strategies and annual plans of activity and business, defining the needs to achieve the objectives.
Evaluate in systematic way the quality, environmental and safety management systems, through auditing, identifying areas of improvement and plans, supported by the action of the organization.
In the perspective of continuous improvement of processes and mobilization of all employees in quality principles, the company decided to implement a methodology to help in this mean. It was emerged a Quality Improvement Plan, the opportunity to integrate the daily activities and strategical projects of the company within the Kaizen-Lean theory.
The implementation of this methodology to IBEROL started in ends of 2014 involving more than 90% of its employees on the change (Kai) for better (Zen).
This methodology, is globally used, enabling the language and educational barrier not to be problem, and its efficiency in industrial producers as well as industrial services, this meaning, it is independent to the size of the organisation. Furthermore, helps optimizing processes with lean practice and eliminating de excess/waste. Since the beginning of its implementation IBEROL has had reduction in transformation costs in more than 17% and a reduction of fixed costs by 23-25%.
ISCC is one of the leading certification systems for sustainability and greenhouse gas emissions. In July 2011, the European Commission recognized ISCC as one of the first certification schemes demonstrating full alignment with the requirements of the European Renewable Energy Directive (RED).
ISCC certification can be applied to comply with legal requirements in the bio energy markets as well as to demonstrate the sustainability and traceability of the raw material in food, feed and chemical industries.
Iberol has been certified by ISCC since June 2012, in almost all its value chain, namely as the first point of collection of agricultural raw material, in the production and refining of vegetable oils and in the manufacture of biodiesel, and also in most of the products which it works with, namely rapeseed, sunflower, soy, palm, used food oils and category 1, 2 and 3 of animal fat.
HACCP is an internationally recognized system for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point .
The Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) system is based on a preventive methodology, with the aim of avoiding potential risks that can cause harm to consumers by eliminating or reducing hazards, in order to ensure that unsafe foods are not placed at the disposal of the consumer.
The HACCP system is based on the application of technical and scientific principles in the production and handling of food from "meadow to plate".
Currently, the Portuguese population is increasingly concerned with the benefits of a balanced and healthy diet requiring high-quality foods. It is therefore necessary to ensure the quality of food products in order to gain consumer confidence.
HACCP was developed as a simple method to ensure the production of safe food for the consumer, but it wasn’t for a few years that Portuguese companies began to believe in the potential of this system.
Essentially, this system involves an in-depth study of raw materials, processing, handling, storage and shipping conditions, making it possible to identify sensitive areas that lead to an unacceptable hazard.
The HACCP system is the most effective method of maximizing product safety. (Mortimor e Wallace, 1994)
ISO 9001 is the most worldwide used management system, being the international reference for the Quality Management Systems Certification.
Adopting a Quality Management System is, accordingly to ISO9001, a strategic management decision, that is to say that it comes from the highest level of decision making in the company and to serve a specific purpose and achieve results.
ISO 9001 deals with the fundamental objective of existing an Organization that by focusing on the ability to satisfy customer needs and expectations, also increases its satisfaction and improves the global company’s performance. Contributes for the economic sustainability pillar, which gives the organization the ability and means of other sustainability initiatives.
ISO 9001 adopts a process approach methodology, that englobes the PDCA cycle of constant improvement and risk based thinking.
Iberol obtained the certification ISO 9001 in 2004.
ISO 14001 is an international regulation scheme of environmental quality management and compliance – Sistema de Gestão da Qualidade Ambiental (SGA). A regulation identifies, prioritizing and managing the environmental risks, part of the regular business practice of a firm. The regulation is based in majority on regulating quality besides considering environmental threats. p>
- Commitment– publically presents an environmental commitment of a firm and help secure its performance is managed and improved.
- Reduce costs – enhances usage of resources which may reduce costs.
- Managing reputation – reducing costs or damages to its reputation associated with cleaning and litigation.
- Become a preferred supplier – enables a company to work with companies that prioritize the environmental friendly organizations,
Iberol obtained this certification ISO 14001 in 2004.
Decree Law nr 150/2015, from August 5th, establishes obligations to be fulfilled by the establishment operators, in order to prevent hazards and limit the consequences of serious acidents involving harmfull substances. Complying with the provisions in nr. 1 of the article 30 regarding the Operators obligation of maintaining available to the public permanently, namely electronicaly, the information that is part of Attachment VI of Decree Law nr. 150/2015, Iberol provides the following information: